First, we started with 2 Dominiques, and 3 Buff Orpingtons. We didnt have the proper pin yet, so a dog pin was used with some plywood over the cage. The next morning, I went outside to feed them and I was totally freaked out. One of the Dominiques head was pulled out of the cage, the head was missing....so gross. It was likely a raccoon that got its paw in there while the chicken was sleeping. Chickens are heavy sleepers and will evidently sleep through any creature trying to sneak up on them.
Then one of the Buff Orpingtons had some sort of injury to begin with and the poor thing just got pecked too much.
So we were down to 3 chickens and someone, that person shall remain name-less, decides to come home with guineas....WHAT? So now the bird count is 6.
A temporary pin is built to house the 6 birds. Its working out pretty well, except for the smell of poop. Birds pooping in their water & in their food. G-R-O-S-S ! We just dont have the proper set up yet.
|The eggs are covered in poo....gross|
The next weekend, the name-less person, returns home with 5 fully grown Golden Comet chickens....OH MY!
The stink is getting pretty bad and its getting hard to shift the pin to new grass. I come up with an idea to move the pin with 11 birds down to the lower fenced area. We are making progress, but while moving the pin, one of the chickens' foot got stuck under the pin...great!
We are down to 10 birds. This isnt working! Steve reached in the pin and started collecting the birds. He stuffed 5 in a trash can (only temporary). And put the others in a box. Then he goes for the guineas and then it goes downhill.
Steve tried to pull 1 guinea out of the cage and somehow it starts flying. So we've got guinea on the loose....I dont think even Jessie Owens could catch a guinea. We tried cornering the guinea and throwing a towel over it....didnt work. Steve then tries to get the 2nd guinea and it flies the coop. Not only is this frustrating, but the guineas start making the most annoying and loud sound Ive ever heard. At this point, we are waiting for the neighbors far away to peek out the window. We had no choice, but to let the 2 guineas roam. He was able to get the 3rd guinea in the pin with the chickens. The guinea in the pin starts talking (making the most annoying sound) which triggers the other 2 guineas to squawk even more.
After this much excitement, we had to go inside and call it a day. At least the pin got re-located and the stink doesnt knock me down when I go outside.
Slowly, but surely, Steve was able to build a super nice coop. The project even got scrapped due to a design change. You can see the first chicken house, in the background below, it mysteriously resembles a deer stand. The new A-framed coop that Steve is building features 4 laying boxes. A hanging feeder & water dispenser. There is also plenty of room to roam. The larger area helps immensely with the smell because the birds aren't so confined.
Enjoy the pictures.....
|The only item left to do: shingles. On the side where the blank plywood is.|
|They are loving a bad melon from the garden|
|Me and my helper collected these Green June Bug beetles off standing water. They made a nice snack for the birds|
|The first egg we collected|
|The pale egg (on the bottom) is from the grocery store. The 2 darker color yolks came from our chickens.|